Your Breast Surgery
Mr Netri is renowned for his unrivalled skill in breast surgery in women and men to create the best look for our Inspire customers, enhancing their figure to the fullest, giving them the confidence they desire, helping them to be the best ‘me’ they can be.
At Inspire Cosmetic Surgeons, Mr Netri will be beside you throughout the whole patient journey, ensuring you’re in the best and safest hands and that you get the results you truly want and need.
Male Breast Reduction
It’s a sensitive topic but men can suffer from over-developed breasts, a condition that can make them embarrassed, self-conscious and anxious about taking their shirt off, but the good news is there is something you can do.
The medical term for this is gynaecomastia and it can happen at any age. It can be caused by different factors such as hormonal changes or obesity or it may even be in your genes.
It can also be affected by lifestyle choices, another reason why you may be embarrassed to seek treatment, such as alcohol or steroid abuse, but we don’t judge, and you’ll get a sympathetic ear hear at Inspire.
It can be caused by fat excess in a particular area (pseudo-gynaecomastia) or by an excessive development of breast tissue and sometimes it’s a combination of both. There may also be excessive skin. In some cases, just one breast is affected, what we call unilateral gynaecomastia or when in both breast areas, bilateral gynaecomastia.
Not only can it make you feel self-conscious, it can also be painful, which is why you shouldn’t suffer in silence.
Here at Inspire Cosmetic Surgeons we are proud to have surgeon Mr Netri, recognised as an expert in breast surgery and he will explain all the different options and find the one that suits your needs and expectations.
The procedure takes 1 to 2 hours and can be performed as a day case with a one to two-week recovery period before you can go back to work (depending on how physical your job is) and costs between £4,000 to £5,000.
The aim of gynaecomastia surgery is to reduce the breast size in a man, flattening and enhancing the chest contour and this done through liposuction or a combination of liposuction and gland and / or skin exceess removal to get rid of the excess glandular tissue and skin. Sometimes both techniques are used in combination.
We will use a general anaesthetic so you will be unconscious throughout your procedure and depending on your consultation and assessment, Mr Netri will decide which of the following procedures to perform or it may be a combination of the below.
- For those men who have an excess of fat, what we call pseudo-gynaecomastia, Mr Netri will use liposuction or Vaser liposuction which is performed when a small tube is inserted through a very small incision. This is then connected to a vacuum system that allows the suction of the excessive fat. There are different liposuction technique and Mr Netri will recommend the best one for you during your consultation.
- In some cases, Mr Netri will advice gland or skin excess removal when patients have real gynaecomastia which means an excess of breast tissue. Using his renowned skill, the incision will normally be along the circumference of the bottom half of the areola and because of the colour between the areola and the rest of the skin, the final scar is disguised.
- In some cases, it is necessary to remove some skin. For example, where Mr Netri has to remove a lot of fat or tissue that can cause loose skin, when the chest area is already saggy, when the areola are too big or when the nipples are pointing downwards. Usually the skin will be removed from the central part of the breast and the resulting scar will be around the areola and blend with the natural colour disguising it.
- In extreme cases, a breast reduction similar to the procedure Mr Netri performs on women, may be necessary and the resulting scars will be visible on the chest as an anchor shape.
If you’re considering a breast reduction, then here’s our check list:
- You are over 18
- You are healthy and don’t smoke
- You are unhappy with the size or appearance of your breast area and are reluctant to take your shirt off in public such as when swimming or exercising
- You are in pain or physical discomfort because of your breast area
- You are not significantly overweight and have tried to diet and exercise to reduce your breast size
- You do not currently use or intend to us steroids, marijuana or drink alcohol excessively as these substances can cause recurrence
- Your chest is asymmetrical
Breast reduction is surgery and there are always risks, however unlikely, involved in surgery. That’s why Inspire Cosmetic Surgeons only use the best, and highly skilled surgeons such as Mr Netri who has specialised in this field.
In the consultation process you will be guided through your decision for an uplift and then it’s your decision to compare the risks, however unlikely, against your desires and dreams.
Every patient must sign a consent form and it’s our duty to tell you all about the risks and any potential complications as well as the benefits.
Potential risks could include:
- Problems with the anaesthesia
- Seroma (fluid accumulation)
- Leakage of fluid and blood from the site of liposuction
- Poor scarring
- Pain that can persist
- Loss of sensation in the breast or nipple
- Partial or total loss of areola and nipple
- Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism
- Need for revision of surgery
All these risks and others will be fully discussed by Mr Netri before you sign the consent form.
The simple answer is yes as gynaecomastia surgery can be scheduled as day case surgery or as an overnight stay depending on different circumstance, which will be agreed at the time of your consultation.
Before leaving the hospital, you will be given specific instructions on how to care for your chest, your medication and when to follow-up with Mr Netri.
You will need to keep the dressing clean and dry for a week after surgery and wear a compressive garment for four weeks, both day and night.
You can drive after a week and go back to work between a week and a fortnight depending on the physical nature of your job. You should also refrain from exercise and heavy lifting for four weeks after your surgery.
The great news is that results are usually very good and immediately visible, although the final result can take up to six months because of post-surgical swelling and any scarring can take over one year to fade and will never disappear completely.
It will vary from man to man as the results will depend on your anatomy such as the conformation of your chest, any asymmetries, the size and position of the nipple-areola complex and the quality of your skin.
Your lifestyle, such as whether you smoke, or exercise and your weight are also factors. Remember when we take you through pictures during our consultation, these are used as a guide
to explain the kind of result that you want so Mr Netri understand your needs, but the results
can be significantly different from the images shown Below are some ‘befores’ and ‘afters’ of Mr Netri’s work.
Your breast reduction consultation with Mr Netri and our practice nurse will make you feel comfortable and relaxed.
It will last approximately one hour and means you can clearly chat through why you are considering a breast reduction, what you’re expecting, any concerns you have and what you want the results to be.
Mr Netri will also speak to you about your family and your own medical history. He will also need your permission to contact your GP to get your medical records.
In some cases, a psychological assessment may be required as recommended by new guidelines for cosmetic surgery in the UK.
Mr Netri will then examine and measure your chest and take note of your breast area size, shape, nipple position and skin quality.
Based on the physical examination it is then the time to discuss what your options are and what the results will be. Mr Netri will also explain in detail the operation, risks and possible associated complications.
Although we said an hour, you will have all the time that you need to ask questions and Mr Netri will do his best to answer these as clearly as possible.
You will be offered a second consultation to talk through the surgical plan again in detail and to ask any additional question that you might have forgotten during your first appointment.
We want to make sure this is the right decision for you, and we have a minimum 14 day cooling off period where you can change your mind. This is counted from your last consultation to the date of the procedure.
On average it costs between £4,000 to £5,000 for a straight-forward male breast reduction. The price varies depending upon facility and costs includes:
- Anaesthesia fees
- Hospital facility cost
- Surgeon fees
* Extra costs can be applied for preoperative tests, garment , medication and revision of surgery but these will be discussed at your consultation.